Comparing Home Releases Cover Arts

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Comparing Home Releases Cover Arts

Post by blackcauldron85 »

1. 4K Steelbook
2. Zavvi Steelbook (UK)
3. Future Shop Steelbook 1 (Canada)
The others are just kind of meh IMO. Not bad, just not as good as these ones.

(What's with these logo-only boring covers like The Incredibles had?! {Future Shop Steelbook 2 (Canada), Collector's Box Set (Japan)}
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

1. Zavvi Steelbook (UK)
2. DVD
3. 4K Steelbook

I think the rest are so boring.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Hey, guys. One of my friends on Facebook showed me this. He purchased a DVD copy of The Emperor's New Groove, and the booklet inside had this alternative cover art design for the Snow White Platinum Edition VHS and DVD. I think it's super beautiful. I love that redrawn clipart of her, and how she's holding the apple, with the bluebird close to her finger. And the silhouettes of the dwarfs underneath are gorgeous.

What do you guys think? Here's the cover
Last edited by Vlad on Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:
What do you guys think?

I love it!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

That's definitely a lot better than many of the covers we currently get!
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:Hey, guys. One of my friends on Facebook showed me this. He purchased a DVD copy of The Emperor's New Groove, and the booklet inside had this alternative cover art design for the Snow White Platinum Edition VHS and DVD. I think it's super beautiful. I love that redrawn clipart of her, and how she's holding the apple, with the bluebird close to her finger. And the silhouettes of the dwarfs underneath is gorgeous.

What do you guys think?
Nice find! It's always very interesting to see mock-ups of cover art and Disney had quite a few of them.
I remember seeing a mock-up for The Little Mermaid 1998 VHS reissue which was really nice, but can't find it again...
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Thanks for posting that preliminary Snow White cover, Sicoe Vlad! I had never seen it before. The execution could've been better (I prefer how Snow White looks in the final Platinum cover, for example), but I really like the idea, especially the silhouettes of the dwarfs.
stevemcqueen wrote:It's always very interesting to see mock-ups of cover art and Disney had quite a few of them.
I remember seeing a mock-up for The Little Mermaid 1998 VHS reissue which was really nice, but can't find it again...
I don't think I've seen that mock-up cover. If you ever find it, please post it here!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I love what they did with the "Heigh Ho" pose of the dwarfs at the bottom, and the font of the logo.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Awesome find Vlad! I wish they drew Snow White to actually be holding the apple how she does in the film instead of taking her bird on her finger pose and putting the apple in there, and I wish the Queen's castle was on her left and the Prince's castle on her right and of course that the dwarfs and their scenery were slightly lit and colored and just in the dark, but it really is a beautiful idea for a cover!
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

stevemcqueen wrote:
Sicoe Vlad wrote:Hey, guys. One of my friends on Facebook showed me this. He purchased a DVD copy of The Emperor's New Groove, and the booklet inside had this alternative cover art design for the Snow White Platinum Edition VHS and DVD. I think it's super beautiful. I love that redrawn clipart of her, and how she's holding the apple, with the bluebird close to her finger. And the silhouettes of the dwarfs underneath is gorgeous.

What do you guys think?
Nice find! It's always very interesting to see mock-ups of cover art and Disney had quite a few of them.
You mean that one with Eric holding a sword?
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:You mean that one with Eric holding a sword?
It was so long ago I can't remember if Eric was holding a sword. I'm not 100% sure, but I think Eric's castle was in the background...
D82 wrote:I don't think I've seen that mock-up cover. If you ever find it, please post it here!
I have been trying to find it for ages, will post if I ever do (or maybe Sicoe Vlad still have it?).

Here's one for The Lion King (The Little Mermaid one came from a similar industry promo for the VHS):
Lion King VHS Promo 1.JPG
Lion King VHS Promo 1.JPG (211.64 KiB) Viewed 9446 times
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Wow, I hadn't seen that one either! Thanks for posting! It's similar to the final cover, but with a different and interesting angle. It's also curious that they added adult Simba, Timon and Pumbaa over the logo. It could've been drawn a little better, but maybe that's because it wasn't the final cover. Had they improved the drawing a bit, I think I might've preferred this artwork to the one we got.

If you have more of these mock-up covers and it's not much trouble for you to post them, stevemcqueen, I would love to see them.

And that reminds me I found some preliminary covers for Pixar films that I forgot to post:

Toy Story 1 & 2 Blu-ray mock-up covers 1

Mock-up covers 2
Image Image

Final artwork
Image Image

The Incredibles DVD
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here's my ranking of the Cars covers. In my opinion, this movie doesn't have many interesting covers, but there are some that I like.

1. Special Edition DVD (France): This one's quite original. Apparently, it's inspired in this theatrical poster.

Here are some pictures of the packaging:

Source: https://waltdisneypp.skyrock.com/258622 ... dvd-2.html

2. DVD/Blu-ray 1: When the movie was first released, I was a bit disappointed with this cover, as I felt previous covers from Pixar had been better. I guess it was mainly because I wasn't a fan of this kind of artwork that is like a collage of different images; I've always preferred the ones that have just one complete drawing. However, now I see it's probably the one that better represents the movie. It shows both worlds (racing and Radiator Springs), and is reminiscent of the moment in the movie where McQueen can't focus on the race because he misses his new friends and the way of life he has discovered in Radiator Springs.

3. Zavvi Steelbook (UK): It's not bad. At least it shows the town and all the main characters. This one and the next are based on this other poster.

4. Walmart Exclusive: This is the DVD cover I have. Here in Spain it was also an exclusive of one important chain of superstores. I like the angle and the shape the road and the characters create.

5. Blu-ray 2: It's not too original, but the background is quite well chosen for this kind of cover.

6. DVD (Australia): It's almost the same as the previous one, but here McQueen doesn't look at the camera, and I prefer when he does.

7. Future Shop Steelbook 1 (Canada): The still chosen is not bad, but this movie is not only about racing.

8. 4K UHD: A little better than other 4K UHD covers from Pixar, in my opinion.

9. 4K Steelbook

10. 3D Pop-Up Box (Germany)

11. Future Shop Steelbook 2 (Canada): It's just the logo and a red background, but I like that the background is like the metallic paint of a car.

12. Collector's Box Set (Japan)

13. Blu-ray 4

14. Heroes Cover (UK)

15. Blu-ray 3

16. Heroes Cover (France)

17. Target Exclusive
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

D82 wrote:It shows both worlds (racing and Radiator Springs), and is reminiscent of the moment in the movie where McQueen can't focus on the race because he misses his new friends and the way of life he has discovered in Radiator Springs.
That is clever!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Ratatouille:

Blu-ray 1:

Blu-ray 2:

Blu-ray 3:

3D Blu-ray:

4K UHD:

4K Steelbook:

Walmart Exclusive Bonus DVD:

DVD (Japan):

Collectible Tin:

Future Shop Exclusive Steelbook 1 (Canada):

Future Shop Exclusive Steelbook 2 (Canada):

Zavvi Steelbook (UK):

DVD (France):

Fnac Steelbook (France):

Heroes Cover (France):

Collector's Box Set (Japan):

DVD + Book (Taiwan):

3D Pop-Up Box (Germany):

DVD (Australia):
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

stevemcqueen wrote:
I have been trying to find it for ages, will post if I ever do (or maybe Sicoe Vlad still have it?).
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

^ That's the one! Thank you so much Sicoe Vlad! :-D :up:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm not sure that I like that he holds a sword, he never did in the film. The final cover was much better in my opinion.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

stevemcqueen wrote:^ That's the one! Thank you so much Sicoe Vlad! :-D :up:
You're very welcome. Sorry I couldn't find one with no watermark.
farerb wrote:I'm not sure that I like that he holds a sword, he never did in the film. The final cover was much better in my opinion.
I'm not very fond of it either. The characters are super off model, especially Ariel herself. I actually saw some character art they did for this particular VHS release. Some of them are really nice, some are awful. Judge for yourself.
Image Image

I really like the first one of Ariel, she's beautifully drawn. The second one is kinda weird. Her face is fine, but her body and hair are so oddly drawn, I don't know what the artist was thinking of. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's one of Eric holding the sword. They actually drew two versions, none of which are particularly good. He's awfully off model.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

They also made some of Flounder, Sebastian and Scuttle. Flounder looks grotesque, Sebastian is so and so, but Scuttle looks great. Image Image Image