Disney Princess Criticism - What's Your Opinion?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Disney Princess Criticism - What's Your Opinion?

Post by JeanGreyForever »

thedisneyspirit wrote:tbh yeah, the most you could say about the earlier princesses is that they were passive, but even comparing to other female characters from Walt's days, they're leagues above characters like Faline or Shanti, who have no personality other than "I need to make my man happy".
Shanti at least only has a 2 minute appearance so that's justified. Faline is another matter. The funny thing is that Faline isn't even all that colorless as a fawn, it's just as an adult doe that it's clear her only personality trait is being Bambi's lover. And the same goes for Thumper and Flower's love interests as well.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:I'm so happy to find someone who actually likes Snow White herself. I feel that, compared to Cinderella and Aurora, Snow White actually has the most screen time and actually speaks more than the later two. The audience gets to spend time with her, and gets to love her, and finally, cheer for her when her dream comes true in the end. I find her kindness and cheerful personality lovely, and even her child-like naïveté is an endearing quality, because she tries to see the good in people, even if on the exterior, they look awful (as with the Old Hag).
I’ve always liked that aspect of the scene between her and the Hag. You can tell she’s taken aback and kind of grossed out by how ugly the Hag is, and yet she tries to be kind to her anyway. It's kind of similar to how Ariel reacts to Ursula's mannerisms / tentacles, but Ariel isn't really as kind as SW, because her disgust is kind of on full display. :lol: :lol:

You know, it just struck me right now that we never see The Queen and Snow White in the same scene together in both their real forms. Well, I guess she is looking out the window during "One Song," but I meant more as in speaking to one another or interacting in some way. I can't even really imagine the two in a scene together...
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Such true, true, great things you said about Snow White Vlad and Amy! Snow White may be even more of a kind and good person than Cinderella. She may be kindest princess of them all. The true fairest of them all. Cinderella saves animals...so maybe she has that above Snow White, but Snow White did help that bird. Still, Snow White really shines.
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

Disney Duster wrote:Snow White may be even more of a kind and good person than Cinderella. She may be kindest princess of them all.
I’d say they’re pretty much on par in terms of the level of their kindness.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Snow White isn't sarcastic like Cinderella is though.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

True. Though one poster here once said they thought she was sarcastic with the dwarfs. I guess she gets bossy with them but it's really out of kindness and looking out for them.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Well, actually Snow White does have her teasing moments like when she guesses who Grumpy is based on his demeanor. And she does tend to laugh a lot at him although I don't think it's mean-spirited. There's also this deleted bit of animation where she shows off a manipulative side to get the dwarfs to allow her to stay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhNjO5Ikg_A
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

This is cool, celebrities as Princesses:
https://www.popsugar.com/smart-living/F ... o-46159543
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sophie Turner looks great as Ariel. I also liked Emma Watson as Anna, Emma Stone as Merida, and Amanda Seyfried as Rapunzel. Too bad they didn't also make one of Seyfried as Ariel; she would fit both since Rapunzel's design is just Ariel's with blonde hair anyway.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh yes JeanGreyForever, Snow White does tease a little! And you know, when I saw the manipulative side on the Platinum that I bought when it first came out (I like to brag!), I was shocked! It seemed so unlike her! I don't consider it part of her character because it's deleted.

Amy, those are cool!!!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Snow White was my first DVD I think. I don't think it's entirely unlike her, based on some other moments in the film like how she teases Grumpy and knows the other dwarfs will be more inclined to let her stay if she keeps house for them and bakes their favorite dishes.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hmmm...it still seemed so out of character for her it shocked me so I dunno! :lol:
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I wonder if people would have a more favorable opinion of her if that scene was kept in, but then again, people ignore all of Cinderella's more empowered moments so I doubt anyone would remember. Or maybe they would be shocked like you were.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yeah, I have no idea about that! :/
blackcauldron85

JeanGreyForever wrote:but then again, people ignore all of Cinderella's more empowered moments so I doubt anyone would remember. Or maybe they would be shocked like you were.
People like us remember Cinderella's spunk- that's one of the first things I think of- but I wonder if people who saw the film as kids only just remember the dresses and animals...they don't remember the nuances of the character?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

blackcauldron85 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:but then again, people ignore all of Cinderella's more empowered moments so I doubt anyone would remember. Or maybe they would be shocked like you were.
People like us remember Cinderella's spunk- that's one of the first things I think of- but I wonder if people who saw the film as kids only just remember the dresses and animals...they don't remember the nuances of the character?
A lot of people haven't seen it since they were children so they only remember the major elements like the transformation, the ball, and being used as a maid for her stepfamily. Because it's a land of make believe, they also impose modern values and standards on these films and don't consider how the setting of the film would have been in the Victorian era and unmarried women without any money of their own in that time wouldn't have many options. I took a fairy tale class in college and a lot of people criticized Cinderella for not leaving and making her own way in the world but luckily our teacher set them straight. He also screened the movie so a lot of the students mentioned that they didn't realize or they forgot how strong she was and even sarcastic. They only remember her as this paragon of sweetness who takes all the abuse heaped upon her.

Another thing to remember is that some people haven't ever even seen these old Disney films but because they're such a part of the public consciousness, they don't feel the need to watch them either because they already know the whole story and the major elements. And the Disney Princess franchise has also become so ubiquitous that many people, including children, base their opinions based on how Cinderella is portrayed on merchandise rather than in her own movie.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, YES, YES Amy and JeanGreyForever!!!!!
blackcauldron85

JeanGreyForever wrote:I took a fairy tale class in college
#jealous!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

blackcauldron85 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:I took a fairy tale class in college
#jealous!
It was a Brothers Grimm fairy tale classic which I highly enjoyed! The professor was not the biggest Disney fan but he did like the Walt adaptations since they were generally faithful. He also didn't mind The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin. Frozen had come out just a few years prior to this class so he was familiar with that (like the whole world was) but he hadn't seen it. Knowing how picky he was with fairy tale adaptations, we all told him he probably wouldn't like it very much.

There was a Hans Christian Andersen class as well which I always wanted to take but when it was available, it couldn't fit in my class roster.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

^ So post-Renaissance he didn't care for?

You guys, look @ this! OMG WOWZA @ Flynn especially!

https://www.popsugar.com/smart-living/r ... s-47616573