Favorite Disney Animated Classic from the 2010s?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.

Tangled
35%
Winnie the Pooh
5%
Wreck-It Ralph
No votes
Frozen
15%
Big Hero 6
No votes
Zootopia
20%
Moana
25%
Ralph Breaks the Internet
No votes
Frozen II
No votes

Total votes: 20

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

There wasn't a thread to rank the films from the 2010's either, so I've also created one.

Here's my ranking:

1. Tangled
2. Zootopia
3. Moana
4. Frozen
5. Wreck-It Ralph
6. Winnie the Pooh
7. Big Hero 6
8. Ralph Breaks the Internet
9. Frozen II
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Favorite Disney Animated Classic from the 2010s?

Post by Farerb »

1. Moana
2. Tangled
3. Zootopia
4. Frozen
5. Frozen II
6. Winnie the Pooh
7. Big Hero 6
9. Wreck-it Ralph
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

1) Frozen
2) Zootopia
3) Wreck-It Ralph
4) Frozen II
5) Winnie the Pooh
6) Big Hero 6
7) Moana
8) Tangled
9) Ralph Breaks the Internet

Wreck-It Ralph would normally have been #2 but the sequel really tainted the original for me.
#5-7 could all be swapped around. I don't really like the new take on Winnie the Pooh but I still love the characters which is what gives the film an edge over Big Hero 6 and Moana.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
universALLove
Collector's Edition

Post by universALLove »

1. Zootopia / Zootropolis - I enjoy this one the most. I’d say it’s the only film in the ranking that I love. The rest are just “like” or “okay”.

2. Tangled - I like this one and it’s probably the one I’m most familiar with since it came out at the beginning of the decade and have seen it the most but it just missed out on the top spot due to Zootopia.

3. Frozen - I have mixed feelings about Frozen. I like it but I don’t love it and I do feel it’s very overhyped considering this is essentially now the most successful film/franchise to come out of Disney. At least I got the hype surrounding The Lion King’s success (‘94 version), this one not so much.

4. Moana - It’s okay, I guess I like it but again I don’t love it and it’s not something I can watch again and again. The animation is beautiful, the setting and the culture. I like Moana as a character and her journey, not a huge fan of some of the sidekicks like the chicken (can’t remember his name) and Maui is kinda like another Flynn type, kind of a douche but also a good guy at heart and that’s how I feel about him, I like him because deep down he’s good but he’s annoying too at times.

6. Wreck-It Ralph - I thought I’d enjoy this one more than I actually did because I enjoy video games and was interested to see what they’d do and the cameos from well known video game characters. Wreck-It Ralph isn’t bad by any means but I was very underwhelmed by it. Not one of my favourites.

I’ve watched Big Hero 6 but unlike the films above which I’ve watched more than once, I don’t remember this one that well. I remember enjoying it but I can’t remember it as well as the others and didn’t think it would be fair to include it in the ranking without having watched it again. I’ll have to revisit it to truly place it amongst the ranks. If I were to venture a guess from memory, it would probably end up before Moana maybe :? either 4 or 5, definitely above Wreck-It Ralph.

I’ve not watched these ones yet so can’t judge them unfortunately...
Winnie the Pooh
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Frozen II
Last edited by universALLove on Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

None are my favorites. But if I have to choose then Tangled. Disney went back to what they did best and did it great; however, would have liked if they stuck with the names of the original tales. The songs are very good and the right amount. Flynn is amazing and the same for Mother Goethel. Pascal wasn´t the annoying sidekick either. What I don´t like is Max. While it´s not overplayed like Pegaus or the hateful Buck it still bothers me.

The rest?

-Winnite the Pooh: While I love they made a 2D animated movie Winnie the Pooh has never been my thing. And, although Disney wanted to make the franchise relevant, it still is one for very young children and ended being sort of a quasi remake of the first.

-Wreck it Ralph: As a gamer I liked it overall. However, it has flaws. They could/should have been able to have more famous videogame characters as cameos/extras. Even though they had the idea of going from aracade to arcade in the end the most time is spent in Sugar Rush.

-Frozen: Sooooo, overrated. I don´t hate it and it does have a certain something that makes you want to watch it many times but, of all the movies of the decade, it´s the more flawed.

Too many songs: Olaf´s song is good but would have worked better as a "short" included in the movie (like the ones in The Incredibles where it fills a gap) so that it wouldn´t be lost but the Trolls´ one is too much.

And as good as the soundtrack is the songs don´t fit together.

Never, ever, EVER, believed the sister´s love-relationship. They never spent time together AT ALL for years. Even Anna tells her so when Elsa decides to end the party. But no...they always loved each other so much that she was the love´s act to save Elsa.Once Upon a Time made me actually believed it how they did it.

...on that note, it´s getting too much to the point of forgetting the romances because now women need no men.

Hans. Hans. Hans. Always thought the big reveal was slap to the viewers. When he is left alone under the canoe after Anna leaves he makes a face of being in love. That was that face. They shouldn´t have shown that or had him make an expression that would leave to confussion in order for that to work. Otherwise they lied to us just for the twist.

-Big Hero 6:Hated that Disney used a Marvel comic for that. Yes, I´m a DC Comics fan (obviously) but even if Warner had done the same I wouldn´t have liked it either. It´s "forcing" a comic book of a company to other viewers. And more so Disney should be Disney always. Meaning the Classics should be their own. Also the movie is just fine. Better than Frozen for sure.

-Zootopia: Very, very good movie. The only thing I HATE is the villain reveal. SOOO, overdone already. Why won´t Disney go back to their traditional villains? I´m fine that it was her (so lame a character I don´t remember her) but actually make her the villain from the beginning.

-Moana: Another movie where the songs are WAY too much. Even more so than Frozen. Don´t know if it´s because there are more or that these ones are longer. However, for a Princess movie where there´s no love interest they did it incredibly well. As it wasn´t forced or that Moana felt that way. It just so happens that her story didn´t need that. Other than that is fine too. Better than Big Hero 6 or even.

-Ralph Breaks the Internet: It should have stayed with the original idea of being a movie about online gaming. Or they should have done something different with it. As it is they could have make new characters and do the same movie. More so when you bring those characters to do what they did. Like with Toy Story 4. Sure, the message is relevant but they had to mess the Ralph-Penellope relationship for that? While the Disney Princesses scenes were great they had to mock what Disney is/was known forever. And, again, Disney should be Disney and hated the fact that they had to include the Marvel and Star Wars properties. More so, no that it will ever happen, but imagine if Disney sells the rights for any of these properties. What then?

-Frozen 2: While it´s WAY better that the first it´s too complex. I watched it 2 times already and have a hard time viewing/understanding it. If it did the box office it it was just because of the franchise. I don´t believe most kids understood what happened. The Olalf song wasn´t needed again. The Kristoff song I love. The Aurora song get´s tiresome because of the siren´s chanting. The black character was placed there just because. And I get that this is a fantasy world...but then again, Disney keeps on letting now that in the end is Norway. And it stands even more beacuase he was the only one. If anything thay should have added more black characters to make it believable. The "twist" of the mother. I imagined as much. However, similar to Hans but not to that extent, I don´t believe it because in their own movie the mother, when alone with the girls, didn´t even gave an impression or something for the audiences to get the reveal. Plus, in retrospective, doesn´t make any sense. Why she never told her husband? Why then Elsa´s powers were such a mystery? Did her mother have powers? Don´t remember it. If she did the more reason for her to have told at least her husband and Elsa and helped her to try to control her powers. To be more understanding. But even if she didn´t just because of where she came from should have been a HUGE signal for the parents to sort of try to get answers and not freak out as they did in the first.
Last edited by DC Fan on Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

1. Frozen
2. Zootopia
3. Frozen II
4. Winnie the Pooh
5. Moana
6. Tangled
7. Wreck-It Ralph
9. Big Hero 6

The top three are the only ones I'm very attached to. I thought the Tangled series was better than the movie; I still only like Rapunzel and Maximus in the film. Moana is one I find myself re-visiting less than I thought I would. I guess because while it is a M&C film, it feels nothing like one. I think Lasseter meddled a great deal on TP&TF, but it still feels like a M&C film despite the buddy roadtrip formula harming that film's potential. But he poisoned the whole cart with Moana. Really only the mythological stuff at the beginning, Pua & Heihei, and Tamatoa feel like M&C.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

1- Zootopia
2- Moana
3- Wreck-It Ralph
4- Frozen
5- Big Hero 6
6- Frozen II
7- Tangled
8- Ralph Breaks the Internet
9- Winnie the Pooh

Zootopia is the only one I feel especially attached to here, but I like bits and pieces of every feature here. 2-5 and 6-8 feel pretty interchangeable to me. I feel a little bad putting Winnie the Pooh so low, since it has some nice hand-drawn animation and cute moments, but it just doesn't really work at its length IMO. I would've preferred if they cut it down and added another featurette or two together.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

As someone who fell in love with Disney because of hand-drawn animation, this is my least favorite decade. :(

01. Tangled
02. Frozen
03. Moana
04. Frozen II
05. Winnie the Pooh
06. Big Hero 6
07. Wreck-It Ralph
08. Ralph Breaks the Internet
09. Zootopia
10. Mary Poppins Returns
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

1. Zootopia - impressive world-building and exploration of interesting themes, even if they don't always work as a metaphor for real-life issues. Both Judy and Nick are great protagonists, animation is top-notch, and it balances humor and pathos amazingly well.

2. Frozen - I'm not as enamored with it as I used to be. I still find Elsa to be a compelling, relatable character and the story still resonates, but some of the movie's internal logic falls apart when you think about it too much, namely the logistics of Elsa's powers. I assume those are remnants of when she was written as a villain and there was no need to explain it as anything other than "because magic!" I also think that's where the issues of undeveloped sisterly bond come from (as DC Fan touched upon it) -- as Elsa was turned from a villain to a deutaragonist they needed her to have some kind of connection with the protagonist, hence the half-baked sisterly love plot. I don't mind the twist villain, but I guess it could have been handled better -- like, either make him truly evil and menacing after his heel-turn or don't bother with the spoiled man-child. Olaf is annoying though. Still a good-to-great movie.

3. Tangled - it has grown on me over the years. I still wish it was hand-drawn and titled Rapunzel -- I think that's where most of my former dislike originated from. Rapunzel is lovable, Mother Gothel could have been developed a bit more along with the sun drop/flower plot, and the thugs could have been toned down, but overall it's a good adventure/romance. Songs are pretty good too. I dislike how smug Flynn Rider is though, and Maximus is just too much bordering on awful -- I hate when they have horses act like dogs, why not make him a dog then?

4. Moana - similar to Tangled, it's a cute movie but nothing spectacular. I only found one song memorable. I like the ending, somewhat Ghibli-like. Maui -- another smug companion. And Hei-Hei is just stupid.

5. Frozen II - a total mess. Half the stuff in the movie is not properly explained and they tried to let the visuals tell the story/mask the faults. People used to say how the King's and Queen's actions in the original made them seem like bad parents, but this one retroactively makes the Queen an awful person in general. Why was her heritage kept a secret anyway, to the point of harming her own daughter? Why was the "voice" introduced only in this movie? Shouldn't have Elsa been able to hear it for years before? This "reveal" feels like another afterthought when they couldn't figure out what to do with Elsa so they came up with this plot involving her mother. And if you're going to play with the four elements of nature, ice powers are already covered by water, they're not a separate element. Ugh. Songs are okay, I guess, but the movie is one step above being a DTV sequel.

6. Winnie the Pooh - as with the original, I don't care much for Winnie the Pooh. It's a sweet little movie, but definitely not something that the future of hand-drawn animation at Disney should have depended on.

7. Wreck-It Ralph - I still feel this movie should have played with visual styles more, that would have at least made it interesting to look at. I wasn't engrossed in the plot and the only character I found interesting to a degree was Calhoun. Vanellope's voice and demeanor grated my nerves.

8. Big Hero 6 - I found it to be bland and boring, with clichéd, stock characters.

9. Ralph Breaks the Internet - Disney IPs: The Movie, now with even more Vanellope. There was nothing genuine about this movie, it's a pure corporate product.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

DC Fan wrote:The Olalf song wasn´t needed again. The Kristoff song I love.
Okay, maybe Olaf's song wasn't "needed," but I for one am so glad it's in there- it cracks me up every single time. I really like Olaf. When my mom saw the film for the first time, she chuckled at me laughing at it, not so much Olaf (she's not a big Olaf fan). I agree about Kristoff, though!
DC Fan wrote: And it stands even more beacuase he was the only one. If anything thay should have added more black characters to make it believable.
Mattias wasn't the only Black character- there was his love interest (at the end, with the photograph); I don't remember if there were more in the crowd scenes...
Mooky wrote:Why was the "voice" introduced only in this movie? Shouldn't have Elsa been able to hear it for years before?
Maybe Elsa was too distracted by keeping her powers under control to have noticed, or maybe it just wasn't the right time and the voice had a need to reach out to her now??

1. Winnie the Pooh- In my Top 10 of DACs; it's one of my "happy" movies- if I'm ever sad or in a bad mood, this film really helps to cheer me up. I just think it's a really funny film (I'm weird). The "knot" scene is one of my favorite scenes in any movie- it never gets old.

2. Zootopia- I watch this movie a lot. I love the characters; Judy and Nick are just really great characters. The supporting characters are excellent, too, from Clawhauser to Bogo to Finnick to Judy's parents... it's a really entertaining story, visually a nice looking film. I really like the designs of the characters, too.

3. Tangled- It's always hard to choose between Tangled & Frozen, but since I previously ranked Tangled first, I think I like it a smidge more. Rapunzel is like my "spirit animal;" I know that some people are tired of the awkward young woman trope, but Rapunzel (and Anna) are so me, so as an awkward woman, I'm glad they exist! The music is great, the growth of Rapunzel is so satisfying to watch, I love the relationship growing between Flynn and Rapunzel. I absolutely love Gothel; she's one of my favorite villains. It's so despicable to be as verbally abusive as she is (not to mention the kidnapping and hostage situation).

4. Frozen- I think that despite their separation, Elsa and Anna still had that immense love for each other. Yes, it could be a bit akward (but like at the Coronation, they got a little bit closer, got over that awkardness a bit). I really like the characters. Like with Giselle and Pocahontas, I like that the film shows that true love doesn't always mean the first man you meet. Duh, the music is amazing- 6.5 years later, I still listen to the soundtrack a lot, I sing the songs all the time. I really like Olaf. Just a really great film.

5. Moana- Moana is an excellent movie, and I kind of feel that Tangled, Frozen, and Moana get that order because I've had the most time to watch Tangled and the least time to watch Moana over the years, you know? My husband and I watch this film a lot, listen to the soundtrack all the time. I like that Moana has her passion for sailing. I like seeing Moana discover her ancestry. I love Gramma Tala. Another good-looking film. Fantastic music (I know that's not necessarily the popular opinion around here), exciting scenes (I still really enjoy the Kakamora scene), I like the relationship between Moana and Maui (I like imperfect relationships I suppose)...

6. Frozen II- I think it's a worthy sequel. Yes, I know it's not perfect, and I'm sure I've discussed that in its thread, but I really like going on another adventure with these characters, and it's another magnificent soundtrack, IMO. I think Olaf's song is hilarious, I am obsessed with Kristoff's song. I really like seeing Elsa and Anna go on their journeys- it's really exciting. I'm proud of them for being as brave as they are. I really like the autumn feel/look in the film.

7. Big Hero 6- I always enjoy watching it. Tadashi's death is heartbreaking; I feel for Hiro so much. I love that the rest of the friends help Hiro and really try and honor Tadashi. I think the scenes with the microbots (especially with Yokai) look super-cool. And of course Baymax is bae. :p So cute, so funny, so important for keeping Hiro safe/in a good mental state/happy.

8. Wreck-It Ralph- Ralph wanted to really find himself, to find happiness, and I think that's kind of poignant. And he made a best friend. Like Lilo & Stitch, Ralph & Vanellope found someone that understands/accepts them. I really like Vanellope. I like the film, I recently watched it again; it's not an absolute favorite of mine, but I do like it.

9. Ralph Breaks the Internet- I do enjoy it (I actually was going to watch it today but chose Muppets Most Wanted instead...). I like the Princess scene- it's their avatars, so I accept it that they may act differently... I think it's an important message, that you can stay friends with someone even if your lives take different paths. I think it's super creative how they designed the different areas of the Internet.
blackcauldron85

blackcauldron85 wrote:
DC Fan wrote: And it stands even more beacuase he was the only one. If anything thay should have added more black characters to make it believable.
Mattias wasn't the only Black character- there was his love interest (at the end, with the photograph); I don't remember if there were more in the crowd scenes...
Okay, I'm watching "Some Things Never Change" right now, and there are other Black characters (Mattias' love interest and others) in the town.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Maybe Elsa was too distracted by keeping her powers under control to have noticed, or maybe it just wasn't the right time and the voice had a need to reach out to her now??
Or possibly because she didn't understand how to control her powers until the end of Frozen. Before then, it was like someone going through puberty and not really understanding their body.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

blackcauldron85 wrote:
blackcauldron85 wrote: Mattias wasn't the only Black character- there was his love interest (at the end, with the photograph); I don't remember if there were more in the crowd scenes...
Okay, I'm watching "Some Things Never Change" right now, and there are other Black characters (Mattias' love interest and others) in the town.
I think DC Fan might have meant more substantial Black characters and not just one supporting Black character and a handful of Black people in the crowd that no one would ever remember.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

DD, that's a great way of looking at it!

JeanGrey, oh...that makes sense, my bad. :oops:
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

blackcauldron85

When I get to own the movie I´ll watch it again. Still, you are, sort of, making my point. In Arendelle they´re all white. We get Frozen 2 and there´s only one "important" black character. You had to point out his love interest that just shows up in a couple of scenes. And then again tell me that there were more at a certain point.

However, aside from the people of Arendelle I knew/remember well that there was the "inuit" tribe. If there aren´t that many black characters enough to make an impression then that´s tokenism.

...not to mention the so overdone scenario where the black character is the good, wise, loyal friend/trainer of the king-royal family.
blackcauldron85

^Yes, I do understand now what you meant. I know that the point is there should be more diversity, but with how the films are, I think in a movie like Frozen/2, there's no way Disney would make the sole Black main character a villain...
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

blackcauldron85 wrote:^Yes, I do understand now what you meant. I know that the point is there should be more diversity, but with how the films are, I think in a movie like Frozen/2, there's no way Disney would make the sole Black main character a villain...
You just nailed it.

And it´s sad. For instance, and I know it´s a different theme but worth mentioning, Aquaman´s main antagonist is Black Manta. A black character that happens to be one of the best DC villains.

...I was one looking forward the most to him than Ocean Master to be honest. Like most people that knew him from the comics.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I didn't watch Aquaman the movie so does Black Manta not appear in that film? Or does he appear but is he not Black?
ImageImage
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

He is in the movie...by the way, it is a GREAT film.

My point is that Hollwywood shouldn´t be scared of having black characters be portrayed as evil or bad persons as there are in all races.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Oh I see, I thought they may have removed him from the film or cast him as white because they didn't want a Black actor in a negative role.
ImageImage