Peter Pan & Wendy (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Peter Pan (Live-Action)

Post by Disney Duster »

JeanGreyForever wrote:And the other films he produced (A Wrinkle In Time, The Finest Hours, and The Odd Life of Timothy Green) didn't exactly inspire much confidence in me either.
Oh, yeah I agree.
Sotiris wrote:The original play is called "Peter Pan" and the novelization of the play "Peter and Wendy". This remake is merging the two names calling it "Peter Pan and Wendy". That's what I don't like. Choose one or the other. Don't bastardize both titles so you can have your cake and eat it too.
I like it. I don't feel like it's bastardization. I like that it refers to what the book was called and what the animated film was called. It will likely merge the animated film with a more faithful version of the book, so they are merging the titles.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Sotiris wrote:The original play is called "Peter Pan" and the novelization of the play "Peter and Wendy". This remake is merging the two names calling it "Peter Pan and Wendy". That's what I don't like. Choose one or the other. Don't bastardize both titles so you can have your cake and eat it too.
The novelization went through title changes as well. First it was "Peter and Wendy" and then "Peter Pan and Wendy" and finally just "Peter Pan." The title change really isn't as big a deal as you seem to be making it, especially when many adaptations that are still called "Peter Pan" still keep Wendy as the central protagonist like the 2003 live-action Universal film. It's just the Disney animated one that botched the story by focusing on Peter over Wendy so this might be a chance for them to remedy that, although I have my doubts. There was also a UK TV film titled "Peter and Wendy" released in 2015.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:The title change really isn't as big a deal as you seem to be making it, especially when many adaptations that are still called "Peter Pan" still keep Wendy as the central protagonist like the 2003 live-action Universal film.
I didn't say it was a big deal; I just don't like it. It makes it seem like this is a sequel to the animated film instead of a remake/re-imagining. Just to be clear, I'm not opposing Wendy having a bigger part in the film. In fact, I welcome it. I hope they won't turn her into an inventor though. :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:The title change really isn't as big a deal as you seem to be making it, especially when many adaptations that are still called "Peter Pan" still keep Wendy as the central protagonist like the 2003 live-action Universal film.
I didn't say it was a big deal; I just don't like it. It makes it seem like this is a sequel to the animated film instead of a remake/re-imagining. Just to be clear, I'm not opposing Wendy having a bigger part in the film. In fact, I welcome it. I hope they won't turn her into an inventor though. :lol:
People ought to educate themselves on what the real title of the story is anyway so this will be good for them. And yes, I really hope they don't make her an inventor...I can't even laugh about it because it sounds exactly like what Disney would do. Ariel as well for that matter will likely get hit by this.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Who cares about the title. If this wasn't going straight to streaming, it would flop anyway. Barely anyone wants yet another Peter Pan film.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Sotiris wrote:I don't like the name change. They didn't need to do that to give Wendy a more prominent role.
We have learned that Disney’s live-action ‘Peter Pan’ remake has been retitled to ‘Peter Pan and Wendy’ and that the film will eyeing to begin production on April 17th in Canada. The ‘Peter Pan’ film will be directed by David Lowery, he will also co-write the screenplay with Toby Halbrooks.

David Lowery is known for directing ‘Ain’t Them Bodies Saints’, ‘Pete’s Dragon’, ‘A Ghost Story’ and ‘The Old Man & The Gun’. Toby Halbrooks is known for writing ‘Pete’s Dragon’ and for producing ‘A Ghost Story’. Jim Whitaker will produce the live-action remake, he has previously produced Disney films such as ‘A Wrinkle In Time’, ‘The Finest Hours’, ‘The Odd Life of Timothy Green’, the upcoming Disney+ feature film ‘Timmy Failure’ and Lower’s previous Disney film, the live-action ‘Pete’s Dragon’.
Source: https://discussingfilm.net/2020/01/07/d ... exclusive/
This makes really happy :) Peter Pan is one of the pre 1995 Disney movie that i actually think can be majorly improved. It's one of the studio's weaker effoerts aburt of course it's stll better than The Black Cauldron :lol:

And this comes from who person who rated Oliver and Company and tHe aristocats 9 our of 10 stars !

Please don't judge my tastes !
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

DisneyFan97 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:I don't like the name change. They didn't need to do that to give Wendy a more prominent role.
Source: https://discussingfilm.net/2020/01/07/d ... exclusive/
This makes really happy :) Peter Pan is one of the pre 1995 Disney movie that i actually think can be majorly improved. It's one of the studio's weaker effoerts aburt of course it's stll better than The Black Cauldron :lol:

And this comes from who person who rated Oliver and Company and tHe aristocats 9 our of 10 stars !

Please don't judge my tastes !
I agree with you 100%. It's one of the only Walt-era films that I think hasn't aged very well and desperately needs to be improved. Lol about TBC comparison.

I have mixed feelings about Oliver. I rewatched it recently on Disney+ for the first time since I was a child and I really like the music. The characters are nice but a bit flat and one-dimensional, Oliver especially, despite his cute design. I don't feel like I really know him as a character, especially in comparison to the fleshed out Disney protagonists from the Renaissance. Also Oliver and Dodger's relationship is super rushed and the visuals for this film are absolutely terrible. Easily the ugliest Disney film.

The Aristocats I don't really mind either. Not a fav of mine but not as bad as people make it out to be.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I might be one of the few who actually like Disney's Peter Pan and think it's one of Walt's better films. I personally don't really care about this remake and if it's going to be on Disney Plus, I might not watch it for a while, I haven't even seen Lady and the Tramp and Dumbo.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I like Peter Pan (1953) and find it magical, but maybe this remake could create an even better movie.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:I might be one of the few who actually like Disney's Peter Pan and think it's one of Walt's better films. I personally don't really care about this remake and if it's going to be on Disney Plus, I might not watch it for a while, I haven't even seen Lady and the Tramp and Dumbo.
I started Lady and the Tramp but got bored about halfway through, after the Bella Notte scene. It's just like The Lion King in the sense that it's a straight remake and the few variations aren't interesting enough to get through the film. I found myself switching to the original film instead. Still need to give Dumbo a try one of these days.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It looks like both the roles of Wendy and Tiger Lily will be expanded. With Tiger Lily being turned into a warrior, I'm sure Wendy will also be given a new spin. What do you think Wendy will be? An inventor? An artist? An author?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes Disney, let the iconic British turn-of-the-century Peter Pan be of any ethnicity.
:roll:
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Eww, never cared for the character and don't think Disney can be trusted with such a sensitive topic/character. She did have a slightly more empowered role in the original novel so maybe they're basing her off that but she was much older there too. The 2003 Universal film did the best job with her character where they hired an actual indigenous actress and even allowed her to speak in her own language.
ImageImage
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I have a question- does Tiger Lily need to be in the movie at all? Is her addition to the story really that essential that she and her crew can't be cut out?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Avaitor wrote:I have a question- does Tiger Lily need to be in the movie at all? Is her addition to the story really that essential that she and her crew can't be cut out?
She can be easily cut out. In the book, Wendy and her brothers stay in Neverland for several months and the escapade with Tiger Lily's kidnapping and rescue is just one of dozens of adventures they have, it just happens to be the main one highlighted by the author. The role of the Red Indians afterwards is just to guard the Lost Boys' hideout from the pirates but they end up being defeated/killed by the pirates, but this tends to be cut from most adaptations anyway.
ImageImage
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

I’m fine with Tiger Lily having an expanded role. She always felt unimportant to me in most adaptations and this one has to find new ground or else it’ll just feel like every other adaptation. Native American representation in films is so low, so I think keeping the diversity is a welcome choice as long as it’s done authentically and doesn’t attempt to just cater to social justice warriors. I love the idea of a big, diverse Neverland. And especially a retelling of the story that isn’t just limited to another fight on a pirate ship. I’m hoping this does something new, but captures the spirit and pure magic of the original.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

So will Captian Hook, Tinkerbell and Mr.Smee even be in this movie ?!

They wern’t on the casting sheat.

I hope if She is in this Tinkerbell talks or else her actrsss will get very litte to do.

Than they might just male Tinkerbell CGI and than we have no adult female cast members i feel there should be one At least. Was Wendy’s anut in the orginal book/Play ? Or was she created for the 2003 movie ?

If the Aunt was in the play and book they can use her :) They can reuse Mryel Streep or Angela Lansbury form Mary Poppins Retruns in that case. Or Judi Dench would fit if this movie wil have singing Which don’t know if it will or not ? :?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Those casting sheets are just for the main child roles. I assume later casting sheets will also pop up for the Lost Boys.

For Captain Hook (and Wendy, John and Michael's father :wink: ), Tinkerbell and Smee, I expect the movie to hire already established names for those roles.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

nomad2010 wrote:I’m fine with Tiger Lily having an expanded role. She always felt unimportant to me in most adaptations and this one has to find new ground or else it’ll just feel like every other adaptation. Native American representation in films is so low, so I think keeping the diversity is a welcome choice as long as it’s done authentically and doesn’t attempt to just cater to social justice warriors. I love the idea of a big, diverse Neverland. And especially a retelling of the story that isn’t just limited to another fight on a pirate ship. I’m hoping this does something new, but captures the spirit and pure magic of the original.
I'm not trying to be offensive here or to target / attack you--I don't want this to feel like an attack which is how I know it can come across--but I'm honestly curious how people even differentiate between these two things? I hear people dismiss diversity or powerful female characters or LGBT inclusion as "forced" or "catering to SJWs" or tokens so often that it only ever feels to me like a deflection for people who are, more truthfully, point blank not interested in movies with majority-black casts or LGBT or women who aren't regressive. I'm not saying this describes you, I doubt that it does, it's just a point I see all the time that I don't comprehend and I find frustrating.

And if a company ever decided that, yes, they want to make a film with an all-black cast or a film that is focused on women's issues or something along those lines--what is "wrong" with that exactly? How is that more artificial than a director who decides that, say, they want to create another coming-of-age story featuring a white character? Who is that harming and isn't that how all films are made (by somebody making a choice about what they want to make and what story they want to tell)? For example, if Disney had decided they wanted to make a film to feature a black character explicitly in those words (which is what many criticized Disney and TP&TF for)--what is "wrong" with that? Does anybody believe the decision to make a character one skin color or another is just going to happen "organically" half-way through the making of the film/story? If anything, history's shown that these things will not happen organically because a writing industry that is predominantly white men will envision every story in terms similar to themselves first and foremost. It often takes prodding for them to attempt to write female characters properly or to see one of their characters on the page as something other than white (I wouldn't be surprised if the reverse were true for female or non-white writers as well, but because they don't represent the majority it's hard to say). I mean, Disney itself is proof--a black protagonist never transpired "organically" in eighty years, it didn't happen until they explicitly decided they wanted a film featuring a black princess.

I guess I feel like there's no "right" way for a film to show powerful female characters or diversity of any kind anymore. There's always going to be something "wrong" about it; it was forced, the character's a Mary Sue, tokenism, etc. etc. So what's the solution here--to feature no diversity or powerful female characters at all? Because if I'm being honest, I'd love to have a Disney character that was gay or for Disney executives / directors to say explicitly they "want to make a film with a gay prince." And yet the immediate response will be that it's not "organic," it's "forced" and "artificial," it's "catering to SJWs," and all the rest. I wouldn't care, I'd just like to see a character like myself onscreen. To me, it comes across more that some people are tired of seeing diversity. Well, that goes both ways. There are some of us who are tired of seeing nothing but straight, white characters and female characters that are nothing but hollow shells or exist only to drive the male characters' arcs with no personality or arc of their own.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"