DVDizzy should have a "Past Disney Discussion" board

Feedback for the site and forum: comments, questions, suggestions welcome.
2Disney4Ever
Gold Classic Collection

DVDizzy should have a "Past Disney Discussion" board

Post by 2Disney4Ever »

Because why should some of us have to be forced to talk only about modern day Disney when some of us here actually hate almost everything that they do now? Maybe I don't want anything to do with today's Disney and just want to have a place of sanctuary on the forum where I can be nostalgic about the Disney of old. Specifically, a board to discuss everything from the Walt/Eisner eras of the studio and all of their past hand-drawn features (in other words, everything about Disney before the current management took over). Besides, it could help lessen the amount of negativity on the forum that would come out of me ranting about the things Disney does today and why I don't like them, and no doubt I could find a lot more positive, happy things to discuss about past Disney.

Just a suggestion.

Love traditional Disney animation? Send your art to: http://2disney4ever.deviantart.com/
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Re: DVDizzy should have a "Past Disney Discussion" board

Post by pinkrenata »

Good suggestion!

Maybe things seem a little different now, but the Disney Discussion board has historically been for ALL Disney. Feel free to start up discussions about anything vintage Disney! (Hey, I might even be more inclined to participate then!) And don't forget to use the search bar to see if there is already an existing thread. It might surprise you to find out how many discussions might be lurking around, waiting for you to resurrect them with your input! :-)
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I think its a good idea...I know alot of fans only like old school Walt Disney stuff(like from before he died) and some only like the classic theme parks before the renovations of the last 2 decades. Maybe a section with topics like "the 90s" "the 60s" "the 70s & 80's" a hand drawn animated films only topic, classic live action movies and documentaries, a topic for the old Mickey Mouse club, the old version of the theme parks and its lost rides, old Disney tv shows and movies etc...lots of possibilities.

a lot of topics on old school Disney interests get lost within the more modern popular recent topics in the regular Disney section anyway, there's enough Disney topics overall to support it being split into 2 different sections.
2Disney4Ever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by 2Disney4Ever »

^ Agreed.

I for one actually found Disney the most enjoyable and entertaining during the mid 80's-early 00's era of Michael Eisner, and it was when Disney still truly felt like "Disney" to me. And I mean because Disney animation had the iconic 2D style to show for it, rooted in the legacy and tradition left behind by Walt Disney, which clearly set their work apart from the 3D works of their new partner studio Pixar. Back then, the definition between "Disney animation" and "Pixar animation" was as night-and-day as the two visually different animation styles that both studios were built on from the beginning.

After Bob Iger and John Lasseter took over, there has been very little that I still like or enjoy about Disney anymore, save for Princess and the Frog and Phineas and Ferb.

Love traditional Disney animation? Send your art to: http://2disney4ever.deviantart.com/
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

Hey, if it means less fear mongering and derailment of threads, I could totally get behind this idea.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

2Disney4Ever wrote:Because why should some of us have to be forced to talk only about modern day Disney when some of us here actually hate almost everything that they do now?
The "Disney Discussion" forum has 10,942 topics at the members' disposal, in which they can discuss any and every aspect of The Walt Disney Company, so long as such discussion remains on-topic within each thread. Members are encouraged to use the Search Option to find topics they wish to discuss, and continue that discussion within the existing thread. Or, if they are so inclined, create a new topic of discussion that hasn't been addressed before, for the benefit of other members to share their thoughts. I don't quite understand how anyone could be forced into talking about anything they don't wish to talk about. As Thumper's father used to tell him, "If you can't say something nice, don't say [anything] at all."

I must concede that we do have separate Disney forums for Theme Parks, International DVD, and Disney Movie Club, but that is mainly due to how the forum has functioned in the past. UltimateDisney/DVDizzy primarily focuses on films, which is why "Disney Discussion" is the catch-all forum for the films and television of Disney's past, present, and future. Theme Park discussion, thus, would require its own forum.

However, I do not feel that a separate forum for "Past Disney" is required. Ultimately, once anything is released, it becomes "past," thus rendering it off-topic in a so-called "Current Disney" forum. This would require an arbitrary and unnecessary movement of topics from one forum to another, when having them under the general Disney banner is certainly enough.

Deciding on a cut-off date (say, 2005 when Eisner stepped down) also would open the floodgates to proposals for various other eras (the Kay-Cee/Laugh-O-Grams forum? The War Years forum? The Ron Miller forum?), all of which would continue to divide members and dilute the forums into much smaller communities that would likely not interact as much as they do already.

If we were putting this to a moderating team vote, I vote "Nay," although I do continue to encourage revisiting older threads in order to continue discussion of the Disney of our youth and long ago.
2Disney4Ever wrote:Maybe I don't want anything to do with today's Disney and just want to have a place of sanctuary on the forum where I can be nostalgic about the Disney of old.
Again, we have 10,942 topics. I don't think there is a need for an overdramatically-titled "sanctuary" forum to discuss the days of Disney's past.
2Disney4Ever wrote:Besides, it could help lessen the amount of negativity on the forum that would come out of me ranting about the things Disney does today and why I don't like them
Or, for a suggestion, forum members not go off-topic in various threads to spew such negativity. For example, if something like Wreck-It Ralph 2 does not interest someone, is there really any reason to enter that thread and derail it without contributing anything that further enhances the discussion?

Surely, such energies could be put elsewhere. Once again, I would not be opposed to members resurrecting an older thread in which we can share a positive, engaging, and less dramatic discussion of, say, the merits of an underrated gem like The Great Mouse Detective.
2Disney4Ever wrote:and no doubt I could find a lot more positive, happy things to discuss about past Disney.

Just a suggestion.
I would suggest, for all members, to do their part and remember that they are just one person among a forum of 5116 registered members (with countless others reading the forums without a membership). Asking the moderating team for every action on the forum to be based on what one person desires shows a huge amount of selfishness, of which I'm unafraid of calling out. This is not how a community works. Everyone involved should do their best to be mindful of others' needs, but not to the point where everyone else must follow only one person's wishes in a forum. We need to work together to create a harmonious environment in which everyone benefits, not just a select few or singular being.

This is, for the most part, a fun forum in which to participate. I would hate for it to be divided simply to suit the whims of a few people who cannot find it within themselves to compromise when it comes to online discussion. We are all here because we love Disney (in whatever iteration we deem as "our" Disney). Separating ourselves into cliques based on our own personal tastes seems to undercut that unity that we should be celebrating, not portioning out.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?