Thoughts about Syria

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Re: Thoughts about Syria

Post by dvdjunkie »

Well, our fearless "ruler" has ordered all American personnel out of Syria and surrounding regions as he prepares to make a "shot across the bow", with or without Congressional approval or support of major powers like Russia and China.

Russia' Premier Putin says that if the US makes anytime of 'military' strike against Syria, he will order support for the Syrians against any sign of a 'missile strike' in that area. Barry isn't turning anyone to his side, and like almost everything else he has tried to do, he is thinking with his "head in the clouds" or up his rectum.

Whatever is going on in Syria, tragic as it may be, does not concern the United States, and unless there is a direct confrontation with us in the Middle East we should just keep our nose out of their mess. They created it, and they need to fix it by themselves.

It is sad that countries stoop so low as to "gas" their own people, and it is tragic that so many innocent lives are lost, but haven't we lost enough innocent lives in Iraq and Afghanistan??
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Tuesday evening, our beloved "ruler" will be taking to the televisions in our country to tell you more about why he wants to attack Syria. He has been stonewalled by every ally at the G20 meeting and rather than admit defeat he wants to tell the American people why we need to do this.

Okay, here's my problem. It looks like Congress is going to say "NO" to his question about the attack. Certain high-level GOP and Democrat leaders are sided with Barry, but he still doesn't have the support he originally wanted.

My question is should we just forget about this, and get on with putting our country back on its feet, or should he just say the "hell" with it and attack Syria without any rhyme or reason?

I, for one, don't want to see us involved in any more clashes that might cost Americans their lives. Russia's Premier Vladimir Putin has said that he would provide Syria with a "shield" if the United States decides to attack. China has turned its head away from this, and there was very little support for the US to just "make a shot across the bow" as it were. I think we all know that if we do that, we will follow up with 'boots on the ground' and more senseless killing will occur.

I know that many innocent lives have already been lost there, and that Assad "gassed" his own people, but it has nothing to do with the United States at this point. Where is Barry's head at this point? He should have taken some action for "that night of terror" in Benghazi that resembled this, and four Americans, including our Ambassador, were killed, but he was too busy out raising money for his campaign coffers.

As a registered Democrat of over 50 years, I am ashamed of what is happening within the ranks of all political parties. I think that some one needs to stand up to Barry and tell him to do "this" or "that", or step down. We can't survive with all this turmoil in our own country much less with what is going on in a Middle Eastern country that has nothing to do with us, except make headlines about how much they hate us.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Why is it that every time some major outbreak occurs in the middle east (or anywhere overseas) we are the main ones that have to get involved? I hope this is one instance where we aren't shipped overseas.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

When was the last time China ever put "boots on the ground"? The rest of the world laughs at Obama...
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

carolinakid wrote:When was the last time China ever put "boots on the ground"? The rest of the world laughs at Obama...
They laughed at Bush, too. The U.S. is often the biggest international joke.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Our dear 'ruler' is at it again. He is ready to take military action against Syria with or without the support of the Congress or the United Nations. Returning from the G20 meeting, Barry seems intent on doing what he thinks the American people want, and that is take military action against the rebel forces in Syria. He has called for all the American people in Damascus to leave the country until further notice, Iran has said that if the US goes ahead with the strike that they would in-turn make a preventative strike against Iraq by hitting the Embassy in Baghdad.

BBC America has their opinion on the situation and it is no different than this report:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09 ... ay-speech/

Let's just hope that the American people band together to show our resistance to any effort to take on another unpopular military offense.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

[quote="dvdjunkie"]Let's just hope that the American people band together to show our resistance[/quote

When I hear people say that, I get scared because the only true way to do that is start a Revolution. As in how we broke off from the Redcoats and founded this country.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Well, it looks like we're avoiding Military action this time around. Any thoughts?
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

ajmrowland wrote:Well, it looks like we're avoiding Military action this time around. Any thoughts?
I hope so. If we do, I think we can thank John Kerry for that idea. However at first it wasn't an official offer, however apparently it's evolved since then.

This is why Obama waited, and didn't charge in like Bush did.

carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

C'mon, disneyboy. Even the liberals know Obama didn't wait, he WAFFLED! Vladimir Putin kicked his ass image-wise before the whole world!
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Well said, carolinakid!!!
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

carolinakid wrote:C'mon, disneyboy. Even the liberals know Obama didn't wait, he WAFFLED! Vladimir Putin kicked his ass image-wise before the whole world!
From your point of view perhaps, however from mine is differ but I respect your point of view even though I disagree with it.

Also it's official

US-Russia reach agreement on Syria weapons
http://news.yahoo.com/us-russia-reach-a ... itics.html

Also one reason Russia didn't want us going is because they supply Syria and Russia were buddies and they were supplying weapons via an airplane. Nevertheless I'm glad everything has worked out however I guess we need to see action from Assad before we bring out the balloons and such

dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Just so you know Michael, Yahoo News is one of the most liberal news sites there is. John Kerry can't be trusted, and we can't let down our guard until we "see" those chemical weapons in person. It could turn out that all of a sudden "they disappeared" just like when President Bush said the WMD's in Iraq had been secretly sent to Syria and the liberals didn't believe him. Now we find out that he might have been right. Any apologies from the Libs. I think not.

This could be another 'failure' on Barry list if these weapons suddenly come up missing. Let's not celebrate anything yet.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

While Putin was obviously wanking all over the NY Times like the sad schoolyard bully that he is, I can't say I disagree with him being tired of American exceptionalism.

It's about oil and keeping the US dollar in place as the main currency, at least until the US is no longer depending on foreign oil. Anyone wo thinks this is about punishing Assad or spreading democracy is kidding themselves. It's all about money and power. The UN is also a joke...
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

disneyboy20022 wrote:
dvdjunkie wrote:Let's just hope that the American people band together to show our resistance[/quote

When I hear people say that, I get scared because the only true way to do that is start a Revolution. As in how we broke off from the Redcoats and founded this country.
Really. The British managed by, you know, telling our MPs what we wanted, and them voting according to our wishes. No Revolution. Just democracy. You know, the thing America keeps fighting to uphold... allegedly.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

PatrickvD wrote:While Putin was obviously wanking all over the NY Times like the sad schoolyard bully that he is, I can't say I disagree with him being tired of American exceptionalism.

It's about oil and keeping the US dollar in place as the main currency, at least until the US is no longer depending on foreign oil. Anyone wo thinks this is about punishing Assad or spreading democracy is kidding themselves. It's all about money and power. The UN is also a joke...
I don't think that's fair Patrick. I can't speak for Obama, but I genuinely feel Cameron was sincere in his desire to intervene. Shame he won't intervene in matters of injustice in his own country though... especially as he and his cronies cause a majority of them.

But look, the war has been going for a long time. If it was just about oil or power, "we" would have intervened sooner. I can't think of a better way to say this - and I know it sounds heartless - but it's "easier" to ignore slaughter by conventional means. Rightly or wrongly, it's sort of the norm - there's so many conflicts or abuses of power in the world, you can't stop them all. It's different with chemical weapons though. Not only is it outside the generally accepted rules of warfare, but I do believe you need to stop on any instance of chemical weapon use in order to stop potential propagation into other conflicts.

But this is where it gets tricky. Normally I would be supportive of a missile strike in order to do so. "Send a message" as The President would say. However, I feel "we" have cause more harm than good in the Middle East in the past decade or so, that I don't actually support it for this case. I think what we do have is acceptable - while I doubt that all of Assad's chemical weapons or manufacturing plants will be destroyed, it does, in effect, stop him from using them. It's no good him having the weapons if he can't use them upon pain of a concerted attack from a range of nations.

Like so much in politics, it's a compromise. But I think it may actually be the wiser choice. Of course its impossible to say which solution (or indeed doing nothing) is for the best. The Middle East is too complex for anyone to know for sure the long-term consequences of any action.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

PatrickvD wrote:
Syria isn't one of of Murrikkka's oil exporters.

I think the two groups should just kill each other off. Syria isn't worth US time and shouldn't be.

One hand you have Assad and his corrupt tyranny, and the other you have rebels who some of them are affiliated with Al Quada and other Islamist extremist groups. Who ever wins, Syria screwed anyway.

Also LOL at Junkie and poor attempts at thinking he knows anything about foreign politics.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

'War crime': U.N. finds sarin used in Syria chemical weapons attack
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/16/politics/syria-civil-war/

Walter
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Walter »

I was glad when things calmed down with North Korea, and now, really relieved that the US will not send troops to Syria.

After Afghanistan and Iraq, enough is enough already! Our military has taken enough of a beating already.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I agree, and all the money we've spent doesn't exactly help either. I think Education and Health Care are more important issues (this has been repeated a lot I know).