Beauty & the Beast original colors - in upcoming platinu

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

NO! Why are Disney doing this? Some absurd fear of scaring kids or making kids not like the movie because it's to "scary" or "dark"? They are destroying the"mood"/"feeling"/whatever in this movie, it's supposed to be beautiful and dark, and not bright like a Saturday morning cartoon show.

The kids and the average customer don't give a **** about the colors, so why even bother to change them in a attempt to please those groups? It's the fans Disney should be thinking about!

When will we see a release with decent colors? On a 3D Blu-ray release?
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Beauty and the Beast: Original Colors

Post by Disney Duster »

Okay, at least there is one thing:

The Diamond Edition is an improvement.

I do not know how jpanimation thinks the the Diamond is oranger. Maybe it's just my computer, but the Platinum is the orangest, and the Diamond is slightly more natural, the oranges are yellow for instance. Yes, the Diamond is oranger than most others, but the Platinum is orangest.

The Diamond is slightly, slightly darker, deeper, and more contrasted (difference between light and dark) than the Platinum.

So...I am slightly happy but slightly perturbed. I just may keep struggling with liking and enjoying this movie again, the way it was in my childhood was the best.

So out of all those screencaps, I most prefer the LaserDisc, if it was less blurry, though I actually think that is a little too dark, so maybe something in between that and the Diamond, but leaning heavily, heavily, heavily mostly towards the LaserDisc. Now I want that LaserDisc!
JustOneBite87
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Beauty and the Beast: Original Colors

Post by JustOneBite87 »

Disney Duster wrote:Now I want that LaserDisc!
There are a bunch on ebay right now for less than ten dollars. Laserdisc players are also pretty cheap! I recommend going with a Pioneer model that has been tested if you decide to get one.
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

I'm sorry, but we don't even know how the screenshots were taken. Who's to say it really does look that orange?
Haddad28
Limited Issue

Post by Haddad28 »

If the colours in the Diamond edition is like the 3D theatrical release, then yeah the colours are not original, but they are definitely not the Platinum edition colours.

It is an improvement on the Platinum edition as there is much less red tint. But it's worth watching as it defines the movie in a different way. I'm not sure how to explain it, but if Disney were not happy with the original colours, then so be it. But the Diamond Edition, keeping in mind that if it is the same as the 3D re-release, is quite beautiful and an admirable effort by Disney.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Wow, I couldn’t be anymore disappointed in Ultimate Disney then I am right now. Are you telling me they corrected the colors in Beauty and the Beast and no one said anything? Seriously? I know someone on here knew about this (I see a comment by one miniroll32, now where have I heard that username before).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mTTeye6HGl4" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aow3Nm6y0lM" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5zSnL2YT7WM" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Sure, they don’t look exactly like the laserdisc (you can still tell that they tweaked the entire ballroom scene, just as they turned the sky from pink to orange during “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” in The Lion King) but what eves. If Don Hann were to tell me that these were the original colors, albeit a bit brighter for 3D, I’d be likely to buy it. Notice how the whites are white (look at the pages in Belle’s book), how Belle’s hair is a consistent brown, how the caste and wolves are once again grey instead of blue, how the scene with Beast all depressed on the balcony looks washed out on the standard Diamond Edition Blu-ray, how the sky goes from purple to blue during the ballroom sequence, etc. Everything looks more natural. Now I have to go out and find the 3D version somewhere.

I’ll be making some image captures later for comparisons sake, showing off the biggest changes from the vid.

I know this is probably wasting my time, since no one even cared to mention the colors but did they correct the flubbed transition on the 3D Blu-ray release? Also, what's the odds of Disney issuing a replacement program if enough of us complain?
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

So here's the image captures from the video. Keep in mind that some pieces of background imagery may be shifted and that certain effects like depth of field may be missing on the 3D version. This is just part of the process and what we're really concentrating on is the drastic shift in colors apparent in certain scenes:

-The castle is grey again, absent is the red hue that made it look purple

-The enchanted rose is brighter, absent is the blue hue that was dulling it

-Belle's hair is once again brown, her shirt is white, absent is the red hue

-Look at how white that book is, absent is the red hue

-The wood ceiling is once again brown instead of a cartoony orange, absent is the blue hue

-The wolves are grey again instead of blue, absent is the blue hue

-The forrest is comprised of more earthy colors, absent is the blue hue

-Belle's hair is brown again, absent is the red hue

-Still not quite right but atleast Belle's hair is brown again, absent is the red hue

-Still not quite right but atleast Belle's hair is brown again, absent is the red hue

-Look at how washed out the colors looked on the original

-Adam is more of a strawberry blonde, absent is the red hue

Now I included this last one just to show you why the ballroom is still off. To date, The Princess and the Frog trailer is the closest to the original colors we've come but at least this 3D version is less annoying:

I really hope Disney starts a replacement program for this. It would be really annoying if they kept the corrected colors exclusive to the 3D version. It's just too expensive and not practical for those of us who don't have 3DTVs.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Really, I've stopped caring about whether or not the colors are right long ago.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I just watched my blu-ray again (Diamond, non-3d) a couple of days ago, and the overall colors don't seem to reflect what I've been seeing in the posted screencaps at all, except for the dimmer rose at the beginning. I dunno, maybe it's the settings on my TV? :scratch: The 3-D caps I'm seeing here mostly feel too bright to me, especially the with yellow of Belle's dress.

Regardless, I'm pretty happy with my disc, even tweeted that I was having a colorgasm the last time I watched it. :lol:
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

Okay, I have a question. If the 3D version is the one with the colors closest to the original, is it JUST the 3D-blu-ray disc that has them, or were they applied to the 2D blu-ray that comes with the 3D-combo set as well?
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

You can watch the 3D Blu Ray with the option for 3D off?
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

enigmawing wrote:I dunno, maybe it's the settings on my TV? :scratch:
Yeah, what I'm seeing on my computer screen right now is not what it would look like on my TV. Sometimes they look worse.
enigmawing wrote:The 3-D caps I'm seeing here mostly feel too bright to me, especially the with yellow of Belle's dress.
They were brightened to counter the effects of the 3D glasses. Still, I agree with you about the dress (the whole ballroom for that matter). That's why I included that last comparison. It shows that The Princess and the Frog trailer is the closest to the original colors we've come.
ProfessorRatigan wrote:Okay, I have a question. If the 3D version is the one with the colors closest to the original, is it JUST the 3D-blu-ray disc that has them, or were they applied to the 2D blu-ray that comes with the 3D-combo set as well?
The 2D Blu-ray that comes in the 3D set doesn't have the corrected colors.
CampbellzSoup wrote:You can watch the 3D Blu Ray with the option for 3D off?
Yeah, but it only gives you one eyes. So certain images will be distorted or missing.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I knew when I saw it theaters the colors were better. I had a strong feeling anyway.

it's a shame there still isn't a distortion free version of it though because I would double dip if it was as simple as buying the 3D blu ray and turning the 3D off. :cry:
stitchje1981
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stitchje1981 »

I'm from Blegium and still no sign or news of BATB 3D in theaters :x
This sucks

I saw him when he was first released
On IMAX with the new song "human again"

But 3D????
Nothing, nada, njienté pffffffffffffffffff :evil:
kylemj
Limited Issue

Post by kylemj »

The UK is getting batb 3d in cinemas in april so maybe you might get it about the same time

I watched the 2d version of the new 3d set and the colors where very different
stitchje1981
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stitchje1981 »

kylemj wrote:The UK is getting batb 3d in cinemas in april so maybe you might get it about the same time
I'll be looking forward for this, thx :)
kylemj
Limited Issue

Post by kylemj »

stitchje1981 wrote:
kylemj wrote:The UK is getting batb 3d in cinemas in april so maybe you might get it about the same time
I'll be looking forward for this, thx :)
Just checked no sure if they changed it as it was due to be april 6 (my b'day and good friday) but looks like may now? I bit stange as far as i know BATB is going back into the vault april 30??

http://www.odeon.co.uk/fanatic/film_info/s3/m12109/
abenotgabe
Gold Classic Collection

Post by abenotgabe »

jpanimation, check the the link below and scroll down to my post.
http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 7&start=40
I talked about this and posted screen caps 2 days after I got the 3D edition. Yes, the difference is actually significantly noticeable. I never really understood what color change everyone was talking about until I watched the 3D version and noticed it with my own eyes. I have to say the colors look so much better on the 3D than they do on the standard Diamond. Infact whenever I watch BatB, I pop in the 3D disc and switch my TV to 2D mode. Sorry you missed my post, good luck finding the 3D edition, you still have time.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I prefer the lack of red hue, but I don't like how yellow things look in the 3D one, either. But the contrast in the 3D one is GREAT, much better than the Diamond.
jpanimation wrote:
CampbellzSoup wrote:You can watch the 3D Blu Ray with the option for 3D off?
Yeah, but it only gives you one eyes. So certain images will be distorted or missing.
That's weird. Like it only gives you one part of the castle in front of another part of the castle, for instance? I don't get why that is, it seems some techie would have to explain that. Have a picture example?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Disney Duster wrote:That's weird. Like it only gives you one part of the castle in front of another part of the castle, for instance? I don't get why that is, it seems some techie would have to explain that. Have a picture example?
Each eye is given a slightly different angle to view, just like the way your eyes see when looking at real objects. Your brain combines the two flat, separate images into one that has dimension.

Here's a photo example that, when combined by both eyes, will produce a 3D image:

More info on the photo and the process can be found here.

The separate photos were taken at the same time, from slightly different angles. Notice that certain parts of the comforter the cat is lying on isn't visible in both photos.

It's the same when watching a 3D movie. Switching it out into 2D mode means only getting one of the two "eyes," if that makes sense, so some objects may feel moved, skewed, or can disappear altogether.