Has Sleeping Beauty Platinum been tampred with??

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Has Sleeping Beauty Platinum been tampred with??

Post by Marce82 »

Hi everyone,

I have been meaning to write this topic for a while now. And it WILL sound like I am some nut job, obsessed with Sleeping Beauty, but after a million times of watching the film, changes really pop to me.

So, IN THE PLATINUM release, in the christening sequence at the beginning, there is a shot that is a close-up of Maleficent laughing. This comes right after the curse. It is the shot immediately after the queen picks up the baby from the cradle. MALEFICENT'S EYES ARE NOW WHITE, NOT YELLOW!!!

I know the colors changed quite a bit from the previous releases...but Maleficent's eyes are yellow in every shot before and after the one I pointed out. Not only that, the same animation of her laughing is re-used later on in the film when the prince is going though the forest of thorns, and at that point, her eyes are yellow.

I compared the shot with my Special Edition, and in that release, the eyes are yellow.

Has anyone else noticed this? Has SB been tampered with?
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I know that Sleeping Beauty has been tampered with. But I will get to that part last.

I looked into your complaint, and found it...to be a maybe. You see, the colors of not only Maleficent's eyes, but her skin and the baclground look a little different. It all looks cooler, and I don't know if Disney intended it or not. I would think Disney would rather Maleficent have a color closer to an actual skin color as in the Special Edition restoration, but who knows.

I can see a little, tiny tint of yellow in her eyes in the Platinum restoration, though. Here's the comparison, the Special Edition is small and on the left, the Platinum Edition is on the right:

I looked at the laugh later, and the eyes were more yellow there. However, I can still see a slight difference in color between both restorations. Special Edition on the left, Platinum Edition on the right:

Looking at those two comparisons, I agree it seems weird that her eyes aren't as yellow in her first close-up laugh, but it's not the worst thing to me, even if it looks like it shouldn't be that way.

Here's a small thing I noticed. It looks like some very, very faint lines in Aurora's dress and shawl are gone in the new Platinum restoration. Here I point to both areas in the Special Edition on the left where the lines seem faintly there, and the Platinum Edition on the right where they are gone:

But here's the proof where Sleeping Beauty has been tampered with. When Aurora comes back to the cottage, Flora very quickly changes the dress from a the splotchy pink and blue to just pink. In the original version, the color spread over the dress, and it looked like they could have done it better, like there were missing frames of the color spreading, but that was the original. In the Platinum restoration, however, they changed it to the blue in the dress simply fading to pink.

The proof is here. A frame from the Special Edition is on the top, and the tampered Platinum Edition version of the very same frame is on the bottom:

So yes, Disney tampers with their movies. They "fix" mistakes that they only thought were mistakes, which ruins the original artists' intentions, which means DISNEY TAMPERS TOO MUCH IN THEIR RESTORATIONS AND NEED TO LAY OFF AND BE MORE ACCURATE IN THEIR RESTORATIONS.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

One thing that I always found weird is the The Jester:

This image was taken off Lou Romano's blog, in which he wrote an article outlining the differences and that he didn't think they were right. I don't know for sure what was intended, so I'm not going to argue either way, but this character in particular always bothered me.

He is green in the Special Edition and he's green in the cells...

but he's yellow on the Platinum Edition....for the most part. There is actually a single shot where he is green, just a little lighter then the Special Edition but all the other BG colors are consistent with the Platinum Edition colors (when I get the sources, I'll makes a comparison to show that he's green in both). This just confuses the matter further. Is he supposed to be yellow or should he be green?
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

How do you guys make these screencaps? Is there something you download?
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Christopher_TCUIH wrote:How do you guys make these screencaps? Is there something you download?
You can just print screen movies normally but If you have an acer computor you should have a "take photo" option whilst watching the film!

also many people use the website - http://www.disneyscreencaps.com

Thsnks fot those pics Duster!
Last edited by DisneyDude2010 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

^Thanks for the link. Here's the scene on the Platinum Edition where he's green:

http://hq55.com/disney/sb/sleeping-disn ... m-5476.jpg

Everywhere else in the movie he's yellow, like in the image I posted above.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyDude, um, your welcome, I think (what did you write/mean? sorry lol).

jpanimation, I can actually explain this one. Look at the cup the minstrel is holding. You see how in the Special Edition screencap, the shine on the cup looks as green as him? But in the Platinum Edition, the shine looks gold, as yellow as him? The cup is most likely supposed to have a gold shine, don't you think?

In the screencap you posted where he is green in the Platinum Edition, he only looks green because when the fairies put the castle to sleep, the whole scene turns greenish blue, I suppose as part of the lasting night of the spell or something. So everyone has a greenish bluish tint to them, blue on yellow makes green, etc. You can even see some slightly dark yellow spots on his coat, where the orange/red "X"'s are, that closely match the dark yellow spots on his coat in the other Platinum screencaps.

Generally, it seems a green tint that the Special Edition of the film had was removed in the Platinum Edition.
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Post by Hogi Bear »

Christopher_TCUIH wrote:How do you guys make these screencaps? Is there something you download?
You can hit your "Print Screen" or "Prt Scr" button on your keyboard. Normally sits above the Delete, Home, End, Page Up, Page Down buttons, then you can Paste them into a photo editor or even just MS Paint.

Or what would be easier is using a "take picture" function that a lot of movie players have, eg: VideoLan Client (VLC), WinDVD, et cetera. You can usually right click and "take a picture" or hit a button on the interface or select an option on one of the drop down menus (maybe "Edit" or "Video" (for VLC)).

It's interesting to think though that someone would want to change a film from it's original state so much. I can understand the difference of cleaning the original (so to speak) and not necessarily having an original to compare to though, but some changes are head scratching.
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Many thanks DisneyDuster for the screen caps illustrating what I was talking about regarding Maleficent's eyes.

The one thing I want to make clear, is that I am not pointing out the changes in the overall color from the Special to Platinum (frankly, I think the colors in the Platinum make more sense).

But If Maleficent's eyes were now meant to be white, they would be in every shot, not just THAT particular one.

It's a shame Disney doesn't know how to respect it's heritage.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Oh, one more thing. Disney Duster, that cel of the minstrel is NOT from when the fairies are putting the castle to sleep (which WOULD explain the green tone), but from when he is catching some wine from under King Hubert in his little guitar thing... so the color would be natural daylight.

That being said, we don't know if that cell is original, and used in the film. Disney has made many cels for promotional purposes that often times change colors (I have seen many of them).
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I just realized another way you can tell the minstrel shouldn't be green in daylight is in the Special Edition frame where he's green, his hair, too, looks greenish and has green highlights. This reminds me of how Aurora's hair was greenish in the cels and they had to do the right Technicolor to it to get it gold blonde like they know she should have.

Marce82, you can still see very slight yellow in Maleficent's eyes in the first laugh, but yes, I admit they should look yellower like the second laugh. Disney did it wrong.

Also, you missed the link that has the picture of the minstrel falling under the sleeping spell. Look at at the link. That was what jpanimation and I were referring to.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

:lol: :lol:

Sorry Duster - My predicted text changed my words :P
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

So... I heard that Andreas Deja said that in the cels when Aurora was under Maleficent's spell, the former's hair was green or something.

Really, I kind of feel that the Blu-ray transfer- despite it being a tampering- looks better than the 2003 DVD transfer. Maybe it's the colors looking a little more radiant or something...
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I actually feel that, though obviously tampered with, the 2008 restoration is beyond stunning. For the first time watching it I felt immersed in the artistry of the film. The BD is amazing.

It definitely moved up my list of favorite Disney films.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

PatrickvD wrote:I actually feel that, though obviously tampered with, the 2008 restoration is beyond stunning. For the first time watching it I felt immersed in the artistry of the film. The BD is amazing.

It definitely moved up my list of favorite Disney films.
I agree. It has always been among my top 5 Disney movies and my favorite among the films made under Walt, but it has never looked so good as on the Blu-ray release. Over 50 years old, but no Disney movie looks better in my opinion;)
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

Prince Edward wrote: I agree. It has always been among my top 5 Disney movies and my favorite among the films made under Walt, but it has never looked so good as on the Blu-ray release. Over 50 years old, but no Disney movie looks better in my opinion;)
Reading your post I just realized Sleeping Beauty is over 50! When my mother bought us the first VHS she told us it's actually an old film, almost 30, and now it's over 50. Wow, I'm getting old :o