Luca

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Re: Pixar's Luca

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Before every new Pixar movie gets realsed i usually i have dream( or several) where i watch the movie in the theater.

Isn’t that curious ?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:I like the little clues to him being a monster, like him swallowing the ice cream cone whole.
Nice catch. I hadn't noticed that. Though why would they just foreshadow Alberto being a sea monster when both of them are? Maybe it's because Alberto is aware he is one whereas Luca isn't.
I hadn't noticed that either. But look at how Luca eats pasta. That's not normal either.
Sotiris wrote:I would add that Alberto's hair texture is reminiscent of Aardman too.
Yes, Alberto's hair definitely reminded me of Aardman too. I wish the characters looked a bit less like clay figures or modern TV characters, but to be honest, they don't look bad either. And one positive thing for me about the final designs is that Luca looks a bit better in his human form than in the concepts of him we saw and closer to his monster form.
Sotiris wrote:Did you happen to notice how Pixar fans have received this new style? Were they more welcoming or more apprehensive of it?
I've only read some of the comments on the Pixar Post forum. From what I've seen, most people there like that Luca has a more stylized look than most Pixar films and the Ghibli influence. They have especially praised the backgrounds, which I agree look beautiful. I don't remember any complaints about its style, but several members said they disliked the bean mouths from Turning Red.
DisneyFan97 wrote:Before every new Pixar movie gets realsed i usually i have dream( or several) where i watch the movie in the theater.

Isn’t that curious ?
You're lucky, I rarely dream about the things I'm looking forward to. It's more common for me to dream about the things I fear, be they from the future or the past.
Last edited by D82 on Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:But look at how Luca eats pasta. That's not normal either.
Good point.
D82 wrote:They have especially praised the backgrounds, which I agree look beautiful. I don't remember any complaints about its style, but several members said they disliked the bean mouths from Turning Red.
Yes, the backgrounds and the art direction in general is lovely. It's odd they took an issue with Turning Red but not with Luca when they both use the same type of mouth shape.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:It's odd they took an issue with Turning Red but not with Luca when they both use the same type of mouth shape.
Maybe they haven't noticed it yet. There haven't been many comments there on the Luca thread after the Investor Day presentation. After all, the new images from Luca were in motion while we got a still image from Turning Red, so it's probably easier to notice it in a still.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

When will a voice cast for this be announcement !! :?

Will it have any known actors in it !
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I hope Claudia Cardinale, Sophia Loren and Gina Lollobrigida will be voices in this !!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

D82 wrote:
DisneyFan97 wrote:Before every new Pixar movie gets realsed i usually i have dream( or several) where i watch the movie in the theater.

Isn’t that curious ?
You're lucky, I rarely dream about the things I'm looking forward to. It's more common for me to dream about the things I fear, be they from the future or the past.
I am awake right now because I just dreamt about the TLM remake and a night or two ago I dreamt about Soul, and I think I also commonly have dreams about upcoming movies...
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I hope Sophia Loren does a voice role in this !
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

We might be getting the teaser trailer this month.

Source: https://twitter.com/sketchcrawl/status/ ... 4291940353
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New details about Luca from the latest issue of Total Film magazine, which I've found online:

blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

La Luna is very visually appealing, at least to me, so I welcome a feature with the same aesthetic.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Did anyone seriously believe the movie would involve a romance between Luca and Alberto? I think people who made comparisons to Call Me by Your Name were referring to the setting and the coming-of-age aspect of it.

The fact that the characters transform into sea creatures when wet reminds me of Splash. I wonder if there will be an antagonist who'll try to expose them like there was in Splash.

If you want your movie to feel 2D, Enrico, how about you make it in 2D? It's tiresome to see all these animation directors and creatives talk about how much they love 2D and how hard they worked to bring a 2D aesthetic to their film, yet refuse to make it in 2D. I understand that most of the time it's not up to them, but there are times where they do have a choice and they opt not to. It's exhausting seeing 2D only being used to improve computer animation and only talked about when propping up CG films. As if they can strip it down, take what they want and then toss it aside.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:Did anyone seriously believe the movie would involve a romance between Luca and Alberto? I think people who made comparisons to Call Me by Your Name were referring to the setting and the coming-of-age aspect of it.
Well, I hoped, but didn't believe. Disney seems to be doing a lot of films that check off diversity. It's funny how it'll probably still be 20-30 years before they make an animated film with a gay protagonist though. :lol: :( It reminds me of how for whatever reason they've avoided making another film with a majority-Black cast since TP&TF. Makes me wonder if internally they're using that film as a justification to avoid making more kinds of films than simply hand-drawn ones.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "It's All Love"
Billie Eillish ~ "What Was I Made For?"
Rihanna ~ "California King Bed"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:The fact that the characters transform into sea creatures when wet reminds me of Splash.
I didn't remember that. It's true, the same happened in Splash.
Sotiris wrote:If you want your movie to feel 2D, Enrico, how about you make it in 2D? It's tiresome to see all these animation directors and creatives talk about how much they love 2D and how hard they worked to bring a 2D aesthetic to their film, yet refuse to make it in 2D. I understand that most of the time it's not up to them, but there are times where they do have a choice and they opt not to. It's exhausting seeing 2D only being used to improve computer animation and only talked about when propping up CG films. As if they can strip it down, take what they want and then toss it aside.
I understand you; it bothers me too. Do you see Pixar making a full film in 2D, though? I know they've started making shorts in 2D, but personally, I don't see it very likely. Though, who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

By the way, does this part of the article mean the film's going to be set in the past?
After the trials of 2020, Luca could be the perfect cinematic escape. “I was wanting to take people to Italy, and wanting to take people to the summer of our youth,” smiles Casarosa.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Do you see Pixar making a full film in 2D, though? I know they've started making shorts in 2D, but personally, I don't see it very likely. Though, who knows, maybe I'm wrong.
Nah. If WDAS isn't doing them, there's no way Pixar will. It's ironic though that Pixar has produced two 2D shorts for their experimental shorts program whereas WDAS has done none yet for theirs.
D82 wrote:By the way, does this part of the article mean the film's going to be set in the past?
From the footage and the stills we've seen so far, the film does have an old-timey look and feel to it, but I'm not sure if that's because it's set in a small town in the countryside or if it's because it's set in the past.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Pixar has always been a computer animation studio and while they have produced a few hand-drawn shorts, I don't see them ever making a hand-drawn feature. I think there's still an inkling of a possibility Disney Animation might, but that's all in the hands of the executives and sadly not the filmmakers.

At this point, Netflix is the American company that seems most interested in investing in hand-drawn animated features (and stop-motion animated features, for that matter). I actually think their animation line-up is the most exciting out of everyone, especially with them starting relationships with Aardman and Cartoon Saloon.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:It's ironic though that Pixar has produced two 2D shorts for their experimental shorts program whereas WDAS has done none yet for theirs.
Yeah, that's surprising.
Sotiris wrote:From the footage and the stills we've seen so far, the film does have an old-timey look and feel to it, but I'm not sure if that's because it's set in a small town in the countryside or if it's because it's set in the past.
Yeah, it's not easy to tell whether it's set in the past or not. I think I've read somewhere it's set in the present day, but maybe I'm mistaken.
estefan wrote:At this point, Netflix is the American company that seems most interested in investing in hand-drawn animated features (and stop-motion animated features, for that matter). I actually think their animation line-up is the most exciting out of everyone, especially with them starting relationships with Aardman and Cartoon Saloon.
Netflix seems more willing to take risks than other studios. I think it's probably easier for a streaming service to do that since it's not as important for them that each individual film is profitable as it is for traditional film studios, but it's still commendable of them.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I thought it was mentioned in an article the movie was set during the 1950's? :?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

unprincess wrote:I thought it was mentioned in an article the movie was set during the 1950's? :?
The 50's would actually make more sense than the present day. By the way, it seems the trailer won't be released as soon as the film's director first said:

Source: https://twitter.com/sketchcrawl/status/ ... 3555846147
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New still and some new details from Empire.

Set on the coast of Italy in the dazzling summer days, its central character, Luca, and his friend Alberto are actually sea creatures who appear human on dry land, but take on a fishier form underwater. In a Little Mermaid riff, the pair get to experience life up where they walk, run, and stay all day in the sun – befriending a human girl along the way.

For all that it’s about magical sea creatures, the heart of Luca goes right back to Casarosa’s childhood. “I was born in Genoa, and my summers were spent on beaches,” he tells Empire. “I met my best friend when I was 11. I was really shy and I found this troublemaker of a kid who had a completely different life. I wanted to make a movie about those kinds of friendships that help you grow up.” According to the director, the result is a Pixar film that pays homage to Fellini and other classic Italian filmmakers, with a dash of Miyazaki in the mix too. It sounds like the cinematic summer blast we’ll all be desperate for when winter finally ends.