The Little Mermaid: Diamond Edition - Fall 2013

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: The Little Mermaid: Diamond Edition - Fall 2013

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Marce82 wrote:Damn that Evangelina Elizondo and he stupid law suit (she was the original latin voice of Cinderella....)
What exactly did happen there? I've heard non-American Disney fans complain about new dubs before and have always wondered why Disney would shell out the money to create new ones, when it seems most people would be up in arms about that kind of thing.
RodryCroft
Gold Classic Collection

Post by RodryCroft »

The new restoration is the one you've seen on the blu-ray / 3D trailer, so you can imagine how the whole movie will look like
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scnAL5yT-38[/youtube]
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

There's nothing new about that restoration... And it looks too grainy!
RodryCroft
Gold Classic Collection

Post by RodryCroft »

Old Fish Tale wrote:There's nothing new about that restoration... And it looks too grainy!
Well, if you see it in 1080p, the characters color look pretty clean and their lines are more visible than ever. The backgrounds are grainy because there are hand painted, the grain will always be there. Of course, the blu ray will look cleaner and better, but I think they already took the blu-ray version to make this trailer.

Compare this 2 images. The first one is from the 2006 DVD and the second from the 3D/Blu-Ray trailer.
The blu-ray one is less darker. Flounder is more... yellow and another colors are a bit different.

Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

They used a colour corrected version of the 2006 transfer for the trailer. This is not from the final master of the Blu-ray.
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

RodryCroft wrote: The backgrounds are grainy because there are hand painted, the grain will always be there.
Backgrounds were hand painted in subsequent films as well. CAPS (starting with RDU) enabled digital coloring of characters, thus sparing the animators the use of cels. I think it was only in TPatF that backgrounds were digitally painted.

You can easily spot the artists' brush strokes in the backgrounds in Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas, and to a lesser extent, Aladdin and The Lion King.
RodryCroft
Gold Classic Collection

Post by RodryCroft »

Scamander wrote:They used a colour corrected version of the 2006 transfer for the trailer. This is not from the final master of the Blu-ray.
Ahh ok, I don't have that DVD version, so I didn't know how it looks like.
Well, in that case I hope the blu-ray has a better quality =)
seanjonmc
Limited Issue

Post by seanjonmc »

RodryCroft wrote:
Scamander wrote:They used a colour corrected version of the 2006 transfer for the trailer. This is not from the final master of the Blu-ray.
Ahh ok, I don't have that DVD version, so I didn't know how it looks like.
Well, in that case I hope the blu-ray has a better quality =)
The Blu-ray will be better quality, without a doubt. :)
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

The Little Mermaid 3D will be showing in Australian cinemas for a VERY limited run.

However I suspect a wider release is possible, like the re-re-re-re-releases of The Aristocats, The Fox and the Hound, Bambi and Beauty and the Beast 3D.

Remember, Australia got BatB 3D a year before the blu-ray came out, and then it came back to cinemas for the international release.
thelittleursula
Anniversary Edition

Post by thelittleursula »

So envious of the Aussies right now. I wonder if I could catch a plane and maybe go on holiday there and then go see Mermaid. Hmmm.
Special Edition

Post by 271286 »

thelittleursula wrote:So envious of the Aussies right now. I wonder if I could catch a plane and maybe go on holiday there and then go see Mermaid. Hmmm.
This is good news for all of us :)

Now we know that the 3D version was actually finished, and not just shelved helf way. And there is no way Disney would spend all that money on a 3D conversion (given that TLM is not a CAPS movie they it must have cost even more than BaTB and TLK to convert to 3D) and not cash in on it - only releasing it in Australia for a limited run would be such a waste of time and money, I'm sure it's going to be released in countries that also got BaTB and TLK eventually :)
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

271286 wrote:
thelittleursula wrote:So envious of the Aussies right now. I wonder if I could catch a plane and maybe go on holiday there and then go see Mermaid. Hmmm.
This is good news for all of us :)

Now we know that the 3D version was actually finished, and not just shelved helf way. And there is no way Disney would spend all that money on a 3D conversion (given that TLM is not a CAPS movie they it must have cost even more than BaTB and TLK to convert to 3D) and not cash in on it - only releasing it in Australia for a limited run would be such a waste of time and money, I'm sure it's going to be released in countries that also got BaTB and TLK eventually :)
I think so too given this news.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
JustOneBite87
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JustOneBite87 »

To release something theatrically after the blu-ray release is an illogical business decision and it's the main reason why Beauty and The Beast 3D did poorly at the domestic box office.

The sad thing is that Mermaid is one of a handful of the 2D films that could do extremely well with a re-release before it's HD home video debut.
It seems as if the more revenue the company pulls in, the higher the profits each quarter, the more they scale back and tighten their belts in every aspect of the company.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

JustOneBite87 wrote:To release something theatrically after the blu-ray release is an illogical business decision and it's the main reason why Beauty and The Beast 3D did poorly at the domestic box office.
ERROR ERROR TRYING TO COMPARE LOGIC WITH DISNEY MARKETING DOES NOT COMPUTE DOES NOT COMPUTE ERROR DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER DANGER

Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Hey. Responding to UmbrellaFish, who asked about the spanish dubs and the lawsuit....

I cannot speak for what happened in other countries, but for Spanish speakers, this is what happened, as I understand it:

As most of u know, Peggy Lee sued Disney for royalties for the use of her voice in the VHS releases of Lady and the Tramp, since her contract only applied to theater releases. Taking a cue from that, Evangelina Elizondo, the mexican actress who had voiced Cinderella for the spanish dub released in all of Latin America and Spain decided to do the same thing.

Disney had to pay $4 million to Peggy Lee, but whatever amount Ms. Elizondo wanted, they refused to pay it, choosing instead to record a new dub. The new contract for actors pretty much gives the rights to the performance in perpetuity, in every medium, across the universe (this last part paraphrases the actual line in the contract I read once in an interview with Ms. Elizondo). They have done this with Cinderella, LAdy, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White. Why these films specifically? I dont know.

I know the old dub was used for the 1997 re-release of Sleeping Beauty.

Ms.Elizondo didnt get her money, Disney had to spend a bundle on a new dub....At the end of the day, the one getting screwed is the consumer.

As for the more modern dubs and Spain, as I understand it, Spain NEVER uses latin American dubs anymore. Partially because they are very conscious of their culture and they dont want it "diluted" alongside the latin American one, but this is also partially a way to keep money from leaving Spain. By using their own actors and translators, that is a lot of business that stays within the country.

Personally, I understand this latter issue. But if a film was originally released with the Latin dub, everyone grew up with THAt, then leave it be! Same thing applies to Mary Poppins, but in reverse: there was only a spaniard dub until 1984, so most of us grew up watching only that version (the VHS releases contained THAT dub). Suddenly, the dvds have the 1984 Mexican dub. Its actually not a bad one, but for nostalgic reasons, I def want the spaniard one.

Hope this cleared things up a bit.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QWgCnYrhnU[/youtube]

Someone wrote this in the comments section
I think the problem with these re-releases is the timing. Lion King and Titanic (the two re-releases that did extremely well) weren't available on DVD/Blu Ray at the time of their release. Titanic wasn't on Blu Ray and Lion King was still in the Vault and so you had a generation of people wanting to see Lion King again, unable to because it was in the vault and so when it came back. They jumped at the chance. Thats why I feel, Beauty and the Beast, Finding Nemo and Monsters didn't do so well

Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

That comment has already been expressed on this forum, but hopefully if we keep mentioning it Disney will figure that out lol.
DylanCharles90
Limited Issue

Post by DylanCharles90 »

WE HAVE A COVER GUYS! its for an international version but I assume it'll be either very close or the same to the american version.

REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Dear god I hope not! Awfull compared to.. Well practically everything else.. Also no mention of 3D anywhere? Different cover hopefully ;)
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool